While catching up on blogs I read regularly, I was pleasantly surprised to see my friend Sara from Life Between the Miles had nominated me for an award! The Very Inspiring Award! I know Sara through a Healthy Moms group that I really love being a part of. We have daily check ins and everyone is so encouraging of each other. Sara is an amazing athlete. She’s ran Boston twice, is a group fitness instructor and is now getting into trail running and exploring other fitness routes. You should really check out her blog. She in so inspiring and very worthy of this award. Me? Well, I’m flattered that anyone would think I’m inspiring. So thank you very much Sara!
There’s some rules that go along with this award, so here goes:
- Thank and link to the person who nominated you. Done!
- List the rules and display the award. Done!
- Share seven facts about yourself. See below!
- Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated. See below!
- Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you. Done!
Seven facts about myself. That’s a lot! But, my blog is fairly new, so I’m sure most of this will be new information to all of you.
1. My name is Julia because I was born on the 4th of July. My Dad was so excited to have an Independence Day baby that he wanted to name me July, but my Mom wasn’t digging it, so they compromised on Julia.
2. My husband and I met on a cruise. We both went to school at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and although he was long graduated by the time I went there, him and his buddies were still going on these school sponsored cruises each summer because his father was the professor teaching the course. So here I was this little naïve 21 year old in a new city trying to make friends, and he snatched me up right away! Lucky for me, he is the most amazing person you would ever meet and we have been inseparable ever since we got off that boat.
3. I got into an accident while driving in a foreign country. After my husband and I got married, we wanted to start a family, but I made him promise me that he would take me to Europe before we started having kids. So in the summer of 2008, we set off for a two week trip around Europe. We spent some time in Italy and thought it would be really fun one day to rent a car and drive through wine country in Tuscany and visit some wineries. We were there with two other couples, and because there were six of us, we had to rent a van (cars over there are so tiny). The van was a manual, and being the only one who knew how to drive a stick shift, I had to drive. If you’ve ever been to Italy, you know how narrow the streets are. You can barely get a car in each direction on any of the streets, let alone a van. But, alas, we were young and dumb and decided it would be fun. So we got into our huge van, pulled out of the parking garage and I immediately hit a car with the side mirror. Oops! No damage done, though, so we continued on our way. After visiting a couple of wineries and getting really lost, we were trying to find out way back to Florence when these two guys on motorcycles got behind us. I was driving slow because the road was very narrow and winding and they were literally like a foot behind us, tailgating us the whole way. Just then, we had to pass a big truck coming at us in the opposite lane. I slammed on the brakes because I would have surely hit it, and low and behold the two dumbest motorcyclists ever slammed right into the back of us, getting thrown off their bikes. We stopped and got out to see if they were okay. Fortunately for them, they were fine, no damage was done and we all went on our merry way. But, I think we all decided that renting a van in Italy was not the smartest idea.
4. I am the youngest of three. I have an older sister and an older brother. Up until my teenage years, I was a saint. But once I hit 14ish, I was turned into the most rebellious kid ever. Looking back, I’m surprised my mom didn’t ship me off to boarding school. Luckily I outgrew my craziness by the time I was out of my teens and finally got my life together. I’m sure my mom was really worried about me for a while there. Sorry mom!
5. My first kiss was a sea lion. I lived the first 11 years of my life in Southern California so we frequented all the parks there quite a bit growing up. One time at Sea World, when I was about 8 years old, we were waiting for a show to start, when one of the trainers asked for a volunteer. My Dad raised my hand high up into the air and they actually picked me! They didn’t say what they needed a volunteer for, so I went right up there, so excited to be part of the show. The trainer brought out this big, smelly, but very friendly sea lion and whispered something to him. Then he told me that the sea lion wanted to give me a kiss! Um, okay, sure, why not? So I reached up on my tippy toes and that big ol’ sea lion smacked me my very first kiss. Awwwwwwww.
6. My husband calls me Moosha. He is the king of nicknames and ever since we started dating he started calling me that. It comes from the movie The Bronx Tale (which I have yet to see), and apparently there is a character in the movie that goes by this nickname. It really has nothing to do with me, he just liked the name, so it’s stuck.
7. I am a civil engineer. The topic of work rarely comes up on my blog, so some of you probably don’t know what I do for a living. I always excelled at math and science in school and at the advice of one of my college professors I decided to major in civil engineering. I work for a really great company that has been so accommodating of my mom/work balance (they allow me work only three days a week) and it’s been a great career so far.
So there are my seven facts! Now on to the 15 blogs I am nominating! Some of these blogs have already been nominated, but they are all great blogs that I really enjoying reading. Go check them out!
1. Sarah @ Sarah ‘n Spice
2. Christin @ That’s What She Said
3. Angelica @ Helly On The Run
4. Lauren @ Run Salt Run
5. Ashley @ The Cold Penguin
6. Olena @ Candies & Crunchies
7. Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC
8. Deb @ Deb Runs
9. Mar @ Mar on the Run
10. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?!
11. Colby and Tina @ It’s a Marathon AND a Sprint
12. Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes
13. Smitha @ Running With SD Mom
14. Lauren @ Breathe Deeply and Smile
15. Jessie @ It’s a Messy Life