A Little Detour

My broken arm road to recovery took a little detour and it all started with three little words.  “That’s not good.”  Those are the three words that my doctor said when he looked at my x-rays at my first follow up appointment a week after he reset my broken arm.  Despite looking great, being lined up exactly where it should be, and wearing the most ginormous cast you’ve ever seen for a week, the broken pieces of my arm still shifted out of alignment.  By quite a bit too.

So, my doctor gave me two options.  The first option would be to reset my arm (yet again) and if you read my previous post about my broken arm, you know how incredibly painful of a procedure that was, put it in a cast (again) and come back in another week and most likely have to do it again…and again a week later…and again a week later, and so forth.  And, even with all that resetting, there is no guarantee that the bones would be perfectly lined up when they started to heal, which means they could heal incorrectly, and I could potentially have issues with it for the rest of my life.

My second option was to undergo surgery to have a titanium plate put in to hold the broken pieces of my bones together in the exact perfect spot, from which it would be impossible for them to budge, and it would heal properly and I could go on with my life once I was fully recovered.

Of course, the decision seemed like a no brainer, but I wanted to make sure I made the right choice for me.  I asked my doctor what he recommended and he said hands down surgery.  He told me that if I was a 60 or 70 year old, with a low activity level, it wouldn’t be such a big deal if it didn’t heal properly and I’d probably never notice it.  But, at my age and with two little kids, he wanted this to be fixed the right way.

So, surgery it was.  They scheduled me for the procedure to be done the following day, which was really good because I didn’t have a whole lot of time to dwell on it or get real nervous about it.

The procedure went well and I was laid up for a few days (thank goodness for my amazing mother-in-law who came and took care of the girls so I could rest).  I was in a lot of pain initially, but it has gradually decreased over the last two weeks to where I hardly have any pain now.

I went in for my first post-surgery follow up today and my doctor said everything looks good and I can have the cast off in two weeks and then move to a brace and start physical therapy.  I will definitely need the physical therapy too because as of right now I can neither make a fist nor open my hand all the way.  It will be a long road until I’m fully recovered, but I’m getting there.

This is my x-ray from today showing the titanium plate and eight screws holding it in place.  I still can’t believe this is inside my body.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s